Threat Level: green Handler on Duty: Xavier Mertens

SANS ISC: Microsoft Update providing 403 error code? - Internet Security | DShield SANS ISC InfoSec Forums

Microsoft Update providing 403 error code?

We've had two separate reports this morning from readers telling us, when they try to visit the Microsoft Update site (for XP or 2003) they are receiving 403 error messages.  One of the emails we received details having to remove MS Update and reinstall it in order to get updates to work again.

Can anyone else replicate this issue?  We've tried from several locations globally and we can't reproduce the problem.

-- Joel Esler | http://blog.joelesler.net | http://twitter.com/joelesler

Joel

454 Posts
ISC Handler
I'm seeing this as well on a XP SP3 machine. MS Update worked last month.
Joel B

8 Posts
This page describes how to disable MS Update and return to Windows Update. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901037

I followed the instructions in the link above, closed IE, launched IE, went to Windows Update and was prompted to install MS Update again. I accepted and am now working again. Weird stuff.
Joel B

8 Posts
I'm able to replicate the 403 issue with a 2003 R2 server as well.
Anonymous
I am seeing the same thing with same OS as Joel B. Thanks for the fix Joel.
Anonymous
Had this ennoying problem.
For me the solution was deleting the microsoft activex update module (dpf) with hijackthis.
Reinstall, and update will be available again.
xemaps
Anonymous
Saw this on two machines that I tested. On the first one, windows updates comes up, even though Microsoft updates is installed. I was running with reduced rights, and it hung there. When I ran IE with admin rights, it installed microsoft updates, then gave the 403 error. Same error and behavior on second PC.
Anonymous
Manually updating the Windows Update Agent resolves this. No other steps required.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104
Anonymous
no problems here on XP SP2 machine.
Anonymous
Saw this on two machines that I tested. On the first one, windows updates comes up, even though Microsoft updates is installed. I was running with reduced rights, and it hung there. When I ran IE with admin rights, it installed microsoft updates, then gave the 403 error. Same error and behavior on second PC.
Anonymous
One of my colleagues mentioned this today and I believe he confirmed it was a result of the Web Access Protection module in Eset NOD32 v4.0.474. Disabling this module in the options screen allowed WU/MU to function again.
Adam

3 Posts
We are not using any Eset stuff here, but are having the WU/MU 403 problem. I would prefer to have Microsoft fix the problem without us needing to perform manual intervention on each system.
Adam
2 Posts
Disabling NOD32 Web access protection module worked for me.
Anonymous
Saw it also this morning. Two XP computers that never visit the same sites (except Norton & MS update). Both successfully ran MS Update, twice, this week. Voth failed this morning.
Anonymous
Saw it with one of our Windows 2K3 servers this afternoon.
Anonymous
I was referred to this link for some back ground

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2009746
John

4 Posts
While I didn't experience the 403 error, I was prompted to run/install a new ActiveX component on my local system running XP SP3 in IE8. However ALL of my IE security settings are set to prompt or are just plain disabled for the really bad stuff).

I had no problem with:
Windows SRV 2003 ENT IE7 (enhanced security enabled) but ActiveX
Windows SBS 2003 IE IE8
Windows SRV 2003 x64 IE8

Took a Windows 2003 SRV IE8 host and disabled/set to prompt all ActiveX controls... this produced an error loading the web page ("Error number: 0x8DDD0004" was referenced)

Just a thought...I'm seeing various conditions based (possibly) on varying security controls on hosts. I can only guess that M$ has updated their ActiveX compenent for their WU/MU. Due to various security configurations (host based, IE/browser security controlls, etc) the ability to directly install this new ActiveX control may be limited or disabled in such a way that causes the browser to yield a 403 error (or other page loading errors) when it is directed to access this file.
GuenTech

16 Posts
So do most feel it’s okay that if you find a fix to use it? The paranoid part of me would rather wait for an answer from Microsoft since this is a global issue.
GuenTech
5 Posts
So do most feel it’s okay that if you find a fix to use it? The paranoid part of me would rather wait for an answer from Microsoft since this is a global issue.
GuenTech
5 Posts
GuenTech
5 Posts
GuenTech
5 Posts