CSO Online E-Crime Survey Results

Published: 2006-09-14
Last Updated: 2006-09-14 17:10:05 UTC
by Deborah Hale (Version: 1)
0 comment(s)

CSO Online E-Crime Survey Results

The survey results are in and the findings are quite intriguing (at least to me).  As a Security Administrator for a smaller company I realize what a task it is to implement any kind of security with a very small budget.  It is often difficult to impress on top management the importance of data protection, network protection and getting them to allocate funds for software/hardware to protect the data.

As I reviewed the information in the survey one of the items that jumped out at me, that really caused me to pause and think was the insider breaches that ended in lost revenue/damage.  The different ways that the breaches occurred were all very logical and I guess not so surprising.  When I looked at the reasons that were given for why legal action was not taken I at first was surprised at the high percentage that said "Lack of evidence".  As I began to think about it, began to really think about whether or not we would have enough evidence, I am beginning to rethink my response.  Perhaps I need to really look at my ability to provide evidence in the event that an insider breach does occur. 

I have to say, this is an outstanding survey and I think an outstanding tool for Security/System Administrators to begin to ask themselves the very important question, "How safe is your data?"

I for one am going to use this as a tool for doing a self evaluation.

I want to thank Karen Fogerty at CSO Online for giving me permission to post a link to the survey in today's diary.  Hopefully everyone will take a look at the results of the survey and use it to analyze their own security or lack thereof and the impact that a breach may have on their system.

Keywords:
0 comment(s)

Comments

Diary Archives