AOL changes the free anti-virus they distribute

Published: 2007-09-08
Last Updated: 2007-09-08 01:29:38 UTC
by Jim Clausing (Version: 1)
0 comment(s)

We've gotten e-mail from several people over the last week from folks who suddenly weren't able to get updates (after 31 Aug) to the "Active Virus Shield powered by Kaspersky" that they had gotten from AOL.  It appears that AOL has switched from Kaspersky to McAfee and are now distributing "McAfee Virus Scan Plus-Special edition from AOL" according to this page.  It isn't entirely clear how (or if) this was communicated to the folks using the Kaspersky software.  If you follow the link at the bottom of the page it looks like the old software may still get updates if you point back to a Kaspersky site, but that isn't entirely clear and I was unable to find anyone to answer that question for sure today (I'll update the story if I get more info).  Without some action by the user, however, it appears that they will now be unprotected, which is unfortunate.  In the meantime, if you have an AOL e-mail address, you can still get free anti-virus software from here.  Kaspersky and McAfee are two of the big names in the field, so both are good.  I'm not sure why AOL decided to change, but they are still to be commended for providing anti-virus software to their customers.

Keywords:
0 comment(s)

Comments

Diary Archives