Threat Level: green Handler on Duty: Brad Duncan

SANS ISC: Interesting DDOS activity around Wikileaks SANS ISC InfoSec Forums

Watch ISC TV. Great for NOCs, SOCs and Living Rooms: https://isctv.sans.edu

Interesting DDOS activity around Wikileaks
@ hmmmm,

I think you would find my generalizations to be fairly apt if you looked into the demographics of these people.

@ No Love,

Indeed. Virtually all of them chose to download LOIC and use it knowing full well what the intended purpose of the software was and its targets.
Anonymous
They've been trying to attack AWS for a couple of days and have been 'fail'. If you're monitoring the #target channel, doesn't it remind you have herding cats? :)
Anonymous
Heh, it was only a matter of time until the first arrest was made: This kid was not all that smart (as far as I've seen thus far.) he setup a web account (under his own name) and uploaded a forum for people to talk on. Likely the host has a...utomated tools to do that for you. It has yet been revealed if he was actually the sysop of the IRC network they were using or if he just pointed the domain name at a server someone else setup. Time will tell. He's a damn idiot for setting up an account in the first place instead of using someone else's hacked account and admin'ing it from a busy coffee shop or other open wifi network instead. Idiot.

Certainly not.. and do I think they ought to arrest the 16 year old.. maybe. But I think they should arrest their parents for not properly monitoring their children. These children don't understand the larger scope of the actions they are p...erforming. They just want to vent their opinions SOMEWHERE and think this is a cool way to do it. The parents would understand the scope of the misdeeds (hopefully) but they are ignorant about what their children are doing online.

This has little to do with freedom of speech anymore. It's about denying lawful and legitimate customers from using the service. It's akin to holding a protest in front of a store you don't like and preventing legitimate customers from entering the store. That's illegal for a brick & mortar location and it's illegal in cyberspace.
Matthew

2 Posts
Should have done some copy editing there before I posted that comment, anyhow: ignore the "Certainly not" that leads off the second paragraph.
Matthew

2 Posts
I think Matthew should stop spamming his comments across the internet. The Sergeant posted the same text to Sophos' Facebook page.

/too much monitoring
Matthew
1 Posts
These corporations are involved in financing far worse organisations like the ku klux klan. Paypal is already admitting they were forced to block wikileaks by the US government. Why does wikileaks get hunt down in a matter of hours while far worse businesses are allowed to exist for years?

Unfortunately, Ghandi was wrong. These people won't listen to peaceful demonstrations unless entire nations partake. More unfortunately, a lot of inhabitants of these nations are more concerned about their own money than they are with the fate of the rest of the world. That's why these people need to be woken up, and as much as I respect Ghandi and his views, you don't wake people up by meditating next to them.

These people (ESPECIALLY THE YOUNG ONES) are our new heroes. They aren't afraid to break the law to 'help' someone exposing people breaking the law on an entirely diffrent scale. Agreed, not all of them may completely understand what they are doing but trust me when I say that it is an absolutely necessary evil. Understand that in my Dutch 'vote once every 4 years' "democracy" there are not alot of other options to actually make a difference! ESPECIALLY when you are young!
Matthew
1 Posts