Having Spamassassin Problems?

Published: 2010-01-02
Last Updated: 2010-01-02 15:20:31 UTC
by Marcus Sachs (Version: 2)
4 comment(s)

Karl sent us a note about date parsing issues in Spamassassin.  I thought we fixed all of these problems ten years ago when we went through the Y2K transition.  Apparently not.  More details are at these URLs:


Thanks for the info Karl!


In addition to the comments below, one of our readers sent in this note:

Run "saupdate" or create the following line in your local.cf file:

score FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 0

You can learn about sa-update here:


The sa-update path is preferred.

Thanks for the comments Joanne!

Marcus H. Sachs
Director, SANS Internet Storm Center

4 comment(s)


There is also a problem with "date" on Linux. Try this command to show the year: date '+%G'
Looks like I spoke to soon... :(

Noticed this too...

(I find it valuable to have all my mailservers email me hourly from a cron job, and at the receiving end [which runs spamassassin] a .procmailrc script greps out the X-Spam-Status line containing a list of all test hits; if it doesn't match an expected set of values I receive an email alert; it can detect various DNS/config issues that might affect mail deliverability, as well as alerting me to this Spamassassin issue yesterday.)

As long as people are running sa-update daily, this problem should fix itself sometime today; the bug was fixed some time ago but apparently not pushed through to updates.spamassassin.org until yesterday.
date +%G seems to be working fine here. Note that on 2010-01-01 through 2010-01-03 it would display "2009" as suggested in the man page: "year of ISO week number (see %V); normally useful only with %V". If you want the calendar year you should be using %Y. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date for more info on how this works.

Diary Archives