Last Updated: 2006-08-03 23:22:47 UTC
by Johannes Ullrich (Version: 1)
- This is less of an OS problem, but a firmware/driver issue. While the demo was done on a Mac, it would have worked on other OS's as well.
- Various wireless cards have problems, not just the once demoed at Blackhat.
- You do not have to be associated with a wireless network in order to be exposed.
- A firewall will not protect you.
- Turn off the wireless card (and bluetooth while you are at it).
- Watch for patches.
- To prepare for any patches, learn what type of wireless card you have.
Washington Post "Securityfix" blog (Brian Krebs)